Our History and Mission
In keeping with the writings of U.S. Revolutionary War patriot and author Thomas Paine, Veterans for Common Senses (VCS) strives to ensure that America’s national security and long-term prosperity are protected and enhanced for present and future generations.
With roots in Paine’s pragmatic ideals, VCS works to raise the unique and powerful voices of veterans for the betterment of current, past, and future members of the U.S. armed forces and the nation they protect.
Toward those aims, VCS collects, analyzes and disseminates information relevant to U.S. foreign policy, military policies, and veterans’ affairs for the use of the public in better decision making.
Veterans for Common Sense was founded in 2002 and incorporated in Washington, DC on September 17, 2003 by service-minded war veterans veterans who believe we, the people, are most secure when our country is strong and responsibly engaged with the world. Since that time, VCS has been interviewed by and quoted in the national press on hundreds of occasions, provided expert information and testimony to numerous government, scientific, educational, and non-governmental organizations and entities, and testified before Congress on more than 30 occasions.
Veterans for Common Sense, Inc. is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Most gifts are 100 percent deductible as a charitable contribution under Federal and State income tax laws. Please consult your individual tax advisor to determine how much of your contribution is deductible.
At present, VCS is an all-volunteer organization.
What We Do
VCS engages in:
- Public education
- Policy advising
- Public relations to help shape the public discussion
- Public speaking engagements, media interviews, op-eds, and letters to the editor to educate and raise issue awareness
- Development and publication of new data, including through Freedom of Information Act requests and data mining
- Congressional testimony and testimony before governmental and quasi-governmental public organizations
- Legislative and regulatory advising
- Coalition building and coalition participation
- Provides speakers, experts, and consumer reviewers